Sunday, June 5, 2011

Lemony Goodness and Mongolian Beef

I have been a little bored with my recipes lately so I ventured out a bit this week and had yummy results. These 2 recipes come from "Your Home Based Mom". The link to her blog is on the right if you scroll down.


Mongolian Beef - I added the green beans, it just sounded good.

I cook the rice recipe below to accompany all of my Chinese Food recipes. It is a lot more flavorful that plain white rice. I created this one myself and I usually don't measure but I think I got it.


Ginger Orzo Rice:


1/2 cup of white rice


1/2 cup of orzo (its a small pasta that is in the shape of rice)


2 cups of chicken broth ( I use water and bullion)


1/2-1 onion chopped, I just used what I think looks about right


1 - 2 teaspoons of fresh chopped garlic ( I use the pre-chopped jarred kind, so much easier)


1 teaspoon of fresh ginger OR 1/2 tsp of powder ginger


a bit of oil.


In a pan (that has a lid) saute the onion for a few min. then add the garlic and ginger until fragrant 30 sec - 1 min. Add the rice and orzo and saute for a few min. Then add the chicken broth. Bring to a boil for a minute or so and then put the lid on, lower the heat to LOW and cook for 20 min. Take off the lid fluff with fork and enjoy!


Variations: I leave out the ginger when I am pairing this with chicken or something not Chinese food related. It's kind of like a way better version of Rice A Roni.



And Now for Lemon Crinkle Cookies...so good! Well, not as good as chocolate chip but still very good. Chocolate cookies are like gold at our house and so to make something other than chocolate chip made everyone a bit nervous. The kids and I made this recipe tonight and it was a nice change, so soft and chewy and simply scrumptious. Thanks to Your Home Based Mom for these great recipes and this beautiful picture of the cookies.

1 comment:

jane mamma said...

The food looks and sounds yummy. Wish you were here. How exciting, your house. It's fun to watch it take shape, isn't it?

I saw Whitney today. She is looking cute, & ready.